—Author Amy L. Gale
- Americans spend $1.9 billion on Easter candy. That’s the second biggest candy holiday after Halloween.
- 70% of Easter candy purchased is chocolate.
- The tallest chocolate Easter egg ever was made in Italy in 2011. At 10.39 m in height and 7,200 kg in weight, it was taller than a giraffe and heavier than an elephant!
- The traditional act of painting eggs is called Pysanka.
- Americans buy more than 700 million marshmallow peeps during the Easter holiday, which makes Peeps the most popular non-chocolate Easter candy.
Easter Drink Recipe:
Jelly Bean Martini
Recipe by Brooke McLay
3 oz (6 tablespoons) cotton candy-flavored vodka
1/4 cup red and pink jelly beans
2 oz (1/4 cup) orange-flavored liqueur (or your favorite flavor)
6 red or pink jelly beans
2 lemon slices
1. One hour before serving, place 2 martini glasses in refrigerator. In small bowl, pour vodka over 1/4 cup jelly beans. Cover; refrigerate.
2. At serving time, fill martini shaker with ice. Shake bowl with cold vodka and jelly beans. Strain vodka into shaker; discard jelly beans. Add liqueur; shake well. Strain into 2 chilled martini glasses. To garnish, add 3 jelly beans to bottom of each glass. Garnish each with lemon slice. Serve immediately