The most popular snack in the 1800 and 1900s were popcorn balls! Now, people make tons of different kinds of popcorn including spicy curry, sriracha, caramel, vegan, chocolate, salted, bacon and much more!
My favorite type of popcorn is caramel and rainbow! What’s yours?
Fun Facts About Popcorn
- Popcorn kernels can pop up to 3 ft. up in the air.
- Most U.S. popcorn is grown in the Midwest, primarily in Indiana, Nebraska, Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky and Missouri.
- "Popability" is popcorn lingo that refers to the percentage of kernels that pop.
- The world’s largest popcorn ball, according to Guinness World Records 2015, was created in 2013 at the Indiana State Fair. The popcorn ball weighed in at 6,510-pounds, 8 feet in diameter.
- Popcorn needs between 13.5-14% moisture to pop.
- Popping popcorn is one of the number one uses for microwave ovens. Most microwave ovens have a "popcorn" control button.
- The peak period for popcorn sales for home consumption is in the fall.